Saturday, March 28, 2015

24 Toy Finds of February


24 TOY FINDS OF THE MONTH OF
February 2015
At the end of each month I, Brunpuppies, will put together a list of the toys that I acquired over the course of the month. The number of entries will differ depending on just how many toys I got in that month. The order of the list will be based purely on my personal opinion of the items and is in no way definitive. I'm sure you the reader will have you own favorites and I am open to hearing about them in the comments section.
February was a good month for toy finds, it seemed like everything I went looking for was easy to come across. In many cases I would find an entire series all at once, such as the Marvel Legends Avengers. Speaking of Marvel Legends, this is one line that looks like it's going to completely drain my wallet this year. just in the first in the first half of the year, it looks like there will be four series and multiple exclusive sets! As much as I love getting new Marvel figures, Hasbro may be over doing it. At least they slowed down with the Star Wars Black stuff, but I'm sure that's only so they can ramp it up when the new movie gets closer.


Oh well, let's get on with the list...

24. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Vision Quest Leonardo, Donatello, Raphael, and Michelangelo Action Figure (Playmates)

"A true ninja must become one with nature, to master themselves." -Leonardo

I have no idea what Playmates is trying to pull with these figures. You know what, that’s not true, I’m pretty sure they are trying to cut costs so they don’t have to raise prices too much and still have a good profit margin. Unfortunately this means losing some paint applications, having less articulation, and shrinking the size of the figures. I guess they hoped customers wouldn’t notice, but I sure as heck did.

The worst part is that I happen to really like these character designs for the Turtles and I would have gladly paid more for figures that were at very least up to the quality of the first series for Turtles from this line. Instead Playmates made some figures that seem like they are unfinished prototypes at best. What a wasted opportunity.

23. World of Nintendo Toad Action Figure (JAKKS Pacific)

"Thank you Mario! But our princess is in another castle!" -Toad

This is easily the least interesting figure that has come out from this line although I’m not sure there was was much JAKKS could have done to spice it up, but considering Toad is a key character from the Super Mario franchise, I wasn’t going to pass on him. Having this guy makes me really eager to get a Princess so I can have a full Super Mario Bros. 2 lineup.

Note: I realized after I photographed the figures that I switched Toad and Luigi’s mystery accessories.

22. World of Nintendo Samus Action Figure (JAKKS Pacific)

“Why am I still alive?” - Samus Aran

I really only got this figure because it happened to find in in store along with the rest of the series. The only other figure in scale with from the World of Nintendo figures is Link, who I also didn’t really need to get. In both cases I already have the Figma versions of the characters which are FAR superior and are also in my prefered scale of 1/12. I don’t really regret getting either one, but I didn’t really need them either. (Not that there is any toy that I really "need".)

21. Toys R Us Exclusive Marvel Legends All-New X-Men Action Figure Set (Hasbro)

“Everything we’re going to go back and fight for ends in my death, Charles Xavier dying, and Scott becoming everything he says he despises...And if that’s the way it’s going to be, if that’s our destiny, then we have to make sure it was worth it.” - Jean Grey

I had long ago decided that I was going to skip this set, but then my local Toys R Us marked it down to just under $30 and at that price there was no way I was going to pass it up. That comes out to $6 a figure which in today’s market is a steal.
The best thing I can say about this set is that the figures at least look good when they are displayed together. Individually the all have some issues.
  • Cyclops and Angle both have bodies that are too big and buff considering they are teenagers.
  • Angel’s wings don’t stay on very well and they make him very back heavy.
  • All figures (other than Iceman) have some really poor paint apps, especially the coverage of the yellow paint.
  • Iceman needs a belt that would tie him to the other X-Men thematically.
  • Beast needs some wrist or forearm articulation.
That last one really bugs me because I was so close to loving that figure because I am a big Beast fan and they Hasbro could have so easily put a swivel joint right were his sleeve ends. So freakin’ frustrating.

20. Marvel Super Hero Mashers Spider-Man, Wolverine, Captain America, and Ghost Rider Action Figures (Hasbro)

“You say you don't want the responsibility? Guess what? People like us...we don't get a choice.” Spider-Man

These figures started showing up at Five Below for a reasonable price of $5 each. It’s not a line I really have any interest in collecting, but it is one that I am willing to try out just for the heck of it. In order to get the full effect of the line’s intended purpose, you can’t get just one character, so for the price of just one Marvel Legends figure I was able to get four Marvel Mashers. I have to say it’s pretty fun to switch up the parts and I can see this having a lot of appeal to kids. I’ll even go as far as saying that if this had come out when I was seven, it would have been one of my favorite lines.

19. World of Nintendo Diddy Kong Action Figure (JAKKS Pacific)

"You lazy ape, you are getting too old for this!" -Diddy Kong

I couldn’t have a Donkey Kong action figure and not get his sidekick Diddy. (I’m just now realizing Donkey Kong is the Notorious B.I.G. of the video game world.) I don’t have much to say about this figure, although I do wish his articulation was just a little better, but other than that, he’s pretty good and looks great along side his buddy.

18. Marvel Legends Infinite Series Sentry Action Figure (Hasbro)

“I can't imagine the pressure you're under, doctor, trying to keep me sane before I go off like so many nuclear bombs. Like a million exploding suns.” -Sentry

Although I do think this body is a bit too big for Sentry, I did enjoy it quite a bit when it was used for Nuclear Man, Sabertooth, Toxin, etc., so I can’t complain too much. Overall it’s a nice figure, if not all that outstanding. He does make a nice companion piece to Hyperion though.

17. World of Nintendo Luigi Action Figure (JAKKS Pacific)

"Ahhh! What a nice little vacation. I spent the whole time eating nutritious mushrooms and building up my strength!" -Luigi

Luigi has always been my favorite character from the Super Mario series, even though his brother gets all the attention. I think it goes all the way back to Super Mario Bros. 2, because he was by far my favorite character to use. That plumber was one heck of a jumper.

Considering the fact that I never picked up the Mario from this series because I already have the S.H.Figuarts figure, I was had planned on doing the same with Luigi and skip this version in favor of his Bandai counterpart. Luckily I got him anyway, because he turned out to be pretty great. At this point I don’t even think I’m going going to bother with the Figuart version because I like this one so much. If I do end up getting him, it will probably be more because of the accessories than the figure itself.

16. Marvel Legends Infinite Series Hawkeye Action Figure (Hasbro)

“Hey, Avengers? Where's the cake and brass band, huh? Hawkeye's back!” -Hawkeye

I consider myself a Hawkeye fan so I’m always happy to get another version the Avenger’s resident archer. This may very well be my favorite action figure of him (For some strange reason I love his purple armored arm). I do, however,wish he had come with some loose arrows. It’s almost silly that he doesn’t.

15. Marvel Legends Infinite Series Iron Fist Action Figure (Hasbro)

“Yes, I'm Iron Fist. No, I don't know where Power Man is. We're partners, not a couple.” -Iron Fist

Bravo to Hasbro for including so many different sets of hands with this figure. Having accessories like that with a figure help elevate the figures to be more in line with import collectible figures from companies like Bandai or Good Smile. I really wish they would just go ahead and make alternate hands and heads a standard for all the Marvel Legends and even Star Wars Black Series figures. Especially at the current price range, I think we deserve a little more for our money.

Anyway, getting back to Iron Fist. This is a nice figure that’s fun to put into all kinds of Kung-Fu poses. Personally, I’m a fan of the high collared green costume, but since there has already been a figure with that costume, I’m fine with having this more modern version. Now I need a modern Luke Cage figure. (I never did get the SDCC exclusive set that had him in it.)

One final note, Hasbro NEEDS to retire the mold for this body. It's been used a ton of times, even going back to when Toy Biz was doing Legends. Ironically, this figure seems to move the best out of any figure I have using this body, but I'm still just sick of it. I never really liked the forward angle of the neck or the way the hip joints work. Hasbro, please just move on.

14. Magic: The Gathering - Legacy Nissa Revane Action Figure (Funko)

“You didn’t properly tap your Mana pool.” -Brunpuppies (age 13)

My main reason for getting this figure; it was under $3 on clearance at Target. It that price, this is one of my best finds of the year. Even at full price, this figure is pretty great, it just happens to be of a property I don’t have much interest in. It’s a really nice though. I’ll even say it’s made and painted better than many Marvel Legends figures. The character design has is rather lovely too.

13. Magic: The Gathering - Legacy Chandra Nalaar Action Figure (Funko)

“I’ll give you a good price on my Magic cards, I don’t really play anymore.” -Brunpuppies (age 14)

Everything I said about the Nissa Revane figure applies here too. I just happen to like the overall look of this figure a little more. I like the slight steampunk vibe to it.

12. Pacific Rim Romeo Blue Deluxe Action Figure (NECA)

“I wish I got more screen time.” -Romeo Blue (maybe)

Really, this is just another cool looking Jaeger to add to my display. I think he looks pretty awesome along side the other big robots for Pacific Rim and I love this color blue. I do kind of wish they had made him three-legged like the original character design, just to add some variation to the line.

11. Marvel Legends Infinite Series Machine Man Action Figure (Hasbro)

“If there's a metal that attracts crazy, my body was built of it.” -Machine Man

I love getting figures that I never expected to see as Marvel Legends figures. While simple, this is still a very nice looking figure. The purple really makes him pop (Like Hawkeye's arm!). I only wish he had extendable legs too.

By the way, this is a hip joint I DO like, as opposed to Iron Fist's.

10. Takara Astro Boy / Atom Action Figure Set (Sono Kong)

“You know, I tried to find my place in the world. I - I thought I found it, but I guess fitting in can be a lot more complicated than it seems, huh?” -Astro Boy

This is exactly the Astro Boy action figure I always wanted for my collection. Although he’s not quite up to the standards of a Figma or S.H.Figuarts figure, he doesn’t look out of place with them. He even looks pretty good fighting with or against Mega Man, which just happens to be one of my dream team-ups. I really don’t see myself needing to replace this guy with a better version anytime soon.

9. Marvel Legends Infinite Series Captain Marvel Action Figure (Hasbro)

“Well... First there was nothing, then there was everything... Then the good lord saw fit to bring me into the world to kick the asses of those who need it most. So get ready 'cause this day or the next, it's coming.” -Captain Marvel

I’m very happy that lately it seems that Hasbro has gotten the hang of making decent looking female action figures. They have come a long way since that atrocious Emma Frost figure from the first series. This Captain Marvel is an excellent example of a figure done right. The sculpts for both heads are so good that I’m going to have a hard time deciding which one to display her with.

8. Nightmare on Elm Street Ultimate Freddy 30th Anniversary Action Figure (NECA)

“You are all my children now.” - Freddy Krueger

As crazy as it might sound, I don’t think I have ever watched any Nightmare on Elm Street movie all the way through. I think the only Freddy movie I have seen in its entirety is Freddy vs. Jason. I got this figure mostly because I already have a well articulated Jason figure from NECA and I wanted someone for him to face off against. I am willing to say that this is probably the best Freddy figure, in this scale, that you can get. I love that, with the Ultimate line, NECA is going back to some of their earlier, less articulated figures and giving them the update that they need. I can’t wait to get an Arnold Terminator with some proper articulation.

7. The Walking Dead TV Series 6 Hershel Greene Action Figure (McFarlane Toys)

I can't profess to understand God's plan, Christ promised the resurrection of the dead. I just thought he had something a little different in mind.” - Hershel Greene

The first few series from this line didn’t interest me in the least, but with the last few series, McFarlane Toys has completely won me over. These figures aren’t perfect, but they do a great job of making some boring subject matter into great looking figures. Don’t get me wrong, I love TWD, but at the end of the day, they are just regular looking people in plain clothes. Not usually what you think of when you’re talking about great action figures.
With these figures it really comes down to the how close the likeness is to the actors/characters. The better the likeness, the more I enjoy the figure. Luckily with Hershel, the likeness is pretty damn good. The paint does a fairly good job of bring it out too. Overall, it’s a very nice figure. If I had one complaint it’s that I can’t get the crutches to fit under his arms quite the right way, thus making it hard to get him to stand when he has the amputated leg rather than the prosthetic one.

6. Marvel Legends Infinite Series Scarlet Witch Action Figure (Hasbro)

“While I Live--And until I die--I am an Avenger!” -Scarlet Witch

I’m perfectly fine with Hasbro doing updates of old Toy Biz Marvel Legends especially when the the original is really bad and the new one looks this good. The Scarlet Witch is definitely a character that needed a second chance. The old one was absolutely terrible. I’d go as far as to say that this new version is one of the best female figures in the entire line. Thumbs up to the people responsible for making this figure look so good.

5. Knight Rider 1:15 Scale KITT Electronic Vehicle (Diamond Select Toys)

“I'm the voice of the Knight Industries Two Thousand's microprocessor. K-I-T-T for easy reference, K.I.T.T. if you prefer.” -K.I.T.T.

Knight Rider was one of my favorite TV shows as a kid and it still holds a special place in my heart. I considered getting this vehicle for a while, but without a Michael Knight figure to go with it, I just couldn’t get myself to pull the trigger. When I saw that Toys R Us had it on sale for 70% though, I didn’t even hesitate to pick it up.

I’ll admit that it’s not quite up to the quality of many of the other similarly scaled toy cars out there, especially since it is all plastic rather than having a diecast body, but the sound and light features go a long way towards making up for it. Pushing the button really makes it come alive and makes it a worthwhile addition to my collection.

At first I thought this would be in scale with my G.I.Joes, but it turns out it's in scale with my Walking Dead figures, which may be even cooler. Looks like Daryl has a new ride.

4. Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager Class Optimus Prime Action Figure (Hasbro)

“Sometimes even the wisest of men and machines can be in error.” - Optimus Prime

I’ve read a lot of complaints about the proportions on this figure, but other than the tiny head, I’m okay with it. I don’t mind Prime looking like a big bruiser. At very least it adds some variety to my growing Optimus Prime collection.

Once again, I was too lazy to transform Prime into his vehicle mode during my photo shoot, but I can say it’s not bad. It’s not my favorite version and it definitely won’t be the way I display him, but it’s decent looking truck.

I’ll just have to wait and see if I end up getting other figures that I can combine with this figure (which is the whole point of this line.) So far, none of the other figures have really grabbed me. My point being that I have no idea how well this figure works in conjunction with others. I will say, however, that I wish the “combiner” Prime head, could be used as the standard head, because propositionally I think it would look better on the figure.

3. Marvel Legends Infinite Series All-Father Action Figure (Hasbro)

“You have strutted around my kingdom and terrorized my people long enough. GO AWAY! You don't want to fight me.” -Odin Borson

I’ve wanted an Odin figure for a long while now and even though this isn’t really the version I was hoping for, I’m still quite happy to have him. The fact that you can turn him into “Old Man” Thor just makes him that much better. I guess really the only thing I was hoping for was to have Odin in gold armor, but he still looks pretty great as is. I’m also very happy to have Thor’s battle axe, Jarnjorn.

2. Marvel Legends Infinite Series Thor Action Figure (Hasbro)

“Now you face the Mightiest Avenger of all!” -Thor Odinson

What can I say, I love a good Thor figure and this is most definitely a good Thor figure. This outfit has become my all time favorite look for the character. It does a great job of maintaining many of the classic elements for his original look, while updating them to better fit the character.

I also have to point out that this is a massive figure and is one of the few figures that seems like a decent value at the current Marvel Legends price point. Hasbro doesn’t seem to do very many individually carded “big” guys anymore and usually reserves them for build-a-figures.

1. Tamashii Nations S.H.Figuarts Joker "Injustice Ver." Action Figure (Bandai)

“Oh, the rich and powerful! Takes them a while to get they're being laughed at!” -Joker

As you would expect, a Joker action figure from the S.H.Figuarts line is pretty damn awesome. I have ZERO complaints about this figure. Everything about it is top notch including the sculpt, paint, articulation, quality of plastic, and especially the accessories. He looks so good with all the various heads and weapons that it’s hard to decide which way I want to display him. He’s sure to be a figure that I’ll constantly be revisiting and putting into new poses. I am so glad that I got him to go along with the Batman from this line and now that I have him, I’m kind of surprised I didn’t get him first. I wasn’t planning on ordering them, but now I’m really looking forward to getting the Superman and Harley Quinn from this line. And any other DC characters they end up doing. (I’d kill for a Nightwing!)

That's it for this month, I'll be back soon with March's finds. Until then, good luck with your toy searches!

Roll out!

0 comments:

Post a Comment