Friday, April 24, 2015

34 Toy Finds of March

34 TOY FINDS OF THE MONTH OF
March 2015

At the end of each month I, Brunpuppies, will put together a list of the toys that I acquired over the course of the month. The number of entries will differ depending on just how many toys I got in that month. The order of the list will be based purely on my personal opinion of the items and is in no way definitive. I'm sure you the reader will have you own favorites and I am open to hearing about them in the comments section.
March was another big month for Marvel Legends and it looks like that's going to be a trend throughout the year. This past month I also grabbed quite a few WWE figures, which is very unusual for me considering how little consideration I've given them in the past. There is also a little of everything else on this list, so let's get to it...

34. DC Club Infinite Earths Ice Action Figure (Mattel)
This was the one figure in the entire Club Infinite Earths line that I skipped in it’s initial release. A few weeks ago when I was setting a shelf display with all the Justice League International characters, it just seemed wrong that Ice was missing. When MattyCollector.com had her back on sale, I jumped at the chance to get her so I could complete the team. What an absolutely crappy way for me to end my collection of this line.
It’s not that this is a terrible figure, it’s that it’s overpriced by a factor of three, at least. For the price this was going for, this really should have been a box set with Fire, and Mattel could have at least included some bases to go with them. This Ice figure also suffers from being a rather boring looking character. There is nothing all that interesting about Ice’s design.
At least my JLI roster is complete.

33. Marvel Ultimate Spider-Man Web Warriors Ultimate Spider-Man Basic Action Figure (Hasbro)
I got this figure mostly because I like the proportions of the sculpt. The Walmart exclusive Miles Morales Spider-Man figure that came out a few years ago just didn’t seem right, it looks too much like an adult. This figure definately looks like a young teenage boy as Spider-Man which is how he started out in the comics. Obviously the articulation is very limited (five points of articulation), but the scale and sculpt works well with Marvel Legends.

32. The Walking Dead TV Series 5 Shane Walsh Action Figure (McFarlane Toys)
TWD figures have come a long way in a short amount of time. This figure uses the body from an earlier Shane figure release and this thing functions as more of a statue than an action figure. The sculpt is good, but he’s pretty much stuck in one pose. Since there are so many characters left to be done, I think it’s unlikely that he will get a redo anytime soon, so for now, I’ll make do with this figure. Fortunately I found him on clearance, because I certainly don’t think he’s worth full price.

31. Toys R Us Exclusive Marvel Legends Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Nick Fury Action Figure (Hasbro)
For the most part, this is the same movie figure that came out a few years ago, the only real difference is that Fury’s clothing is all black rather than having some gray and his hands are from the recent Red Skull figure. The real kicker is that one of his hands is posed to hold a Cosmic Cube (Tesseract) and Hasbro didn’t bother to include one! Considering how involved Fury was with it in the Avengers movie, it would have made sense to add one to this set, maybe even a suitcase to hold it.
This figure is only okay. It seems a bit too tall compared to other figures in the line and the shoulders have a terrible range of motion. I can’t seem to get his arms even close to being down by his sides. He ends up looking like he’s doing the Chicken Dance in half the poses I put him in.

30. Walmart Exclusive WWE Wrestling Superstar Entrance Roddy Piper Action Figure (Mattel)
"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum. " -Nada (Roddy Piper)
Roddy Piper continues the trend of being a wrestler that I associate more with a medium other than wrestling. In this case it’s cheestasticly awesome movie They Live. I only wish the likeness was better on this figure.

29. The Walking Dead TV Series 6 Carol Peletier Action Figure (McFarlane Toys)
I really think a good job was done on the sculpt for this figure, but the paint just lets it down. Really it’s just the paint on the face that blows it. Two black dots for the nostrils was not a good idea, unless they were intending to give Carol a pig face. It’s too bad this figure isn’t better considering how much I’ve enjoyed this character in the past season of the show.

28. Marvel Legends Infinite Series Warriors of the Web Ultimate Spider-Woman Action Figure (Hasbro)
I like this Spider-Woman well enough, it’s just not one of those “must have” characters. I did enjoy the Spider-verse storyline, so I am happy to have another character from it. The figure itself is a little hard to stand, mostly due to being top heavy because of the large hairpiece.

27. WWE - Best of 2014 El Torito Action Figure (Mattel)
Not being much of a wrestling fan in the last 20 years, I have no idea who this is, but the fact that this is a well articulated little person in a Lucha Libre outfit is all I need to know. As far as I’m concerned, this is a cool new C-list villain for Spider-Man to fight.

26. Walking Dead Series 7 Negan and Thug Zombie Minimates (Diamond Select Toys)
As much as I like getting the the McFarlane figures when it comes to getting the TV versions of the Walking Dead characters, for to the comic versions, I prefer the Minimates figures. A big part of it is the cost, especially with the zombies. It’s much easier to build a horde when each character is packed with a zombie. (I wish the McFarlane figures did the same.) Negan was my favorite “villain” from the comic, so I am very happy to finally have this figure and the zombie he comes with fits in nicely with the rest.

25. Simpsons 25th Anniversary Series 4 Weird Al Celebrity Action Figure (NECA)
I managed to somehow skip this entire line even though I own almost all the old World of Springfield toys, but when I saw this figure announced, I knew it wouldn’t be long before I broke this trend.
As a kid I was a huge Weird Al fan and even now I still love referencing is movie, UHF. With his last album, Mandatory Fun, he renewed my interest as a fan with some really fun and clever parody songs. So the idea of getting a figure of him as a Simpsons character was a no-brainer. It’s like peanut butter and chocolate, a match made in heaven.
This more a “Nerd Hummel” than an action figure, but that’s fine by me. I only wish he stood better rather than constantly falling over.

24. Toys R Us Exclusive Marvel Legends Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Maria Hill Action Figure (Hasbro)
Another nice figure to fill out the ranks of S.H.I.E.L.D. This figure is very similar to the Black WIdow figure from last year’s Marvel Legends Captain America series, even sharing many of the same parts. She really should have come with her own gun, but I gave her one of Nick Fury’s. I also wish she was a little easier to stand, but if you get her in just the right pose, she does alright.

23. Superheroes 76022 X-Men vs. Sentinel Building Set (LEGO)
X-Men + LEGO + 50% off clearance price = 3 good reasons why I got this set

22. Marvel Legends Infinite Series Anti-Venom Action Figure (Hasbro)

One of my favorite Marvel Legends body types gets another good reuse with this figure. Anti-Venom looks great along side the other recent symbiote characters. Now I’d like to see a classic Venom released using this same body.

21. Marvel Legends Infinite Series Hobgoblin Action Figure (Hasbro)
Hobgoblin was well worth collecting this series in order to build him, although I do have to say that I prefer seeing larger characters as Build-a-Figures. There is no real reason this couldn’t have been an individually carded figure. I do like his flaming sword and the fact that he has a winged jetpack rather than just another glider.

20. WWE Wrestling Elite Collection Hall of Fame Sgt. Slaughter Action Figure (Mattel)
In my mind, this is a 6”-7” scale figure of a G.I.Joe character I just bought and not a wrestling figure. I just makes me want larger scale Joes even more now.

19. Marvel Legends Custom Luke Cage Action Figure (Brunpuppies)

It’s a bit of a cheat including a custom figure that I made, but it’s my list so I do what I want. All I did was take the top half and bottom half of two different wrestling figures (from Mattel’s WWE line) and popped them together and I got myself a passable modern Luke Cage figure. I may give him some chains and a torn yellow shirt at some point, but for now I have a figure to pose alongside the recent Iron Fist Marvel Legend figure.

18. Superheroes 76013 Batman: The Joker Steam Roller Building Set (LEGO)
My biggest and most ambitious Lego project is a 4’W x2’H x 2’D Batcave that I’ve built and I am alway looking to add more vehicles and characters to the cave. I’ve been meaning to get this set for a long while because I could use another jet in the hanger and Batgirl is a must have for the Bat-Family. Luckily I recently came across it when it was on clearance for 50% at Target. I actually found the steam roller to be a fun little build and it’s always great to have another version of Joker. This set turned out to be a heck of a deal.

17. Marvel Legends Infinite Series Warriors of the Web Spider-Girl Action Figure (Hasbro)
I’ve wanted a Spider-Girl Marvel Legend figure for a long time and this one does not disappoint. If there is one complain that I have it’s that I wish it came with multiple sets of hands like the Spider-Man in this series. I’m getting more than a little sick of Spider-Characters in web shooting poses.

16. Figma Indiana Jones Action Figure (Max Factory / Good Smile Company)
"That belongs in a museum. " -Indiana Jones
I can’t say that this figure does, though.
I’ve wanted to pick up this figure for a while and just never got around to it. After selling a bunch of comics, I had some money to kick around so I finally ordered him on Amazon. I was VERY surprised and happy to have him arrive at my door in under 24 hours! Unfortunately, I wasn’t as happy with the figure itself.
It’s not that this is a bad figure, it’s just a bit disappointing. Things like the fact that Indy can’t be displayed without a hat because he has a weird peg head or the fact that there is isn’t much difference between the two sets of eyes he comes with, seem like really poor choices. I would have rather had an alternate head for the figure. The head he does come with just seems a little off to me. The likeness seems a little older than Harrison Ford was in the first three movies, but younger than he looked in the most recent one.
I really wanted to like this figure a lot, but it’s mediocre at best. I definitely expected better from a Figma figure.

15. Star Wars The Black Series Bossk Action Figure (Hasbro)
As much as a like getting the human characters from Star Wars, the alien characters tend to be way more visually interesting and Bossk is no exception. He looks pretty great and adds some great variety to my growing collection. I can’t wait to have him along side all the other bounty hunters.

14. Marvel Legends Infinite Series Spider-Man 2099 Action Figure (Hasbro)
This is a great figure and I have no complaints, all I would have liked to have seen are some alternate hands like the current Spider-Man came with.

13. Marvel Select Cable Action Figure (Diamond Select Toys)
Even though he’s too large, I’m displaying the Cable figure with my Marvel Legends rather than my Marvel Selects. If you take into consideration how Rob Liefeld drew him, he fits in just fine, and this is most definitely the the Rob Liefeld version of the character. How can you tell? Tons of pouches, big shoulder pads, and gigantic, completely unrealistic guns. This figure screams 90’s comics, in an ironically awesome way.

12. The Walking Dead TV Series 6 Abraham Ford Action Figure (McFarlane Toys)
This is just a spot on character representation in plastic form. It’s a figure like this one that makes me amazed at what McFarlane Toys can pull off in this scale.

11. WWE Wrestling Elite Collection Hall of Fame Ultimate Warrior Action Figure (Mattel)
The first wrestling figure I’ve bought purely because I likes him as a wrestler and not because I liked him from some movie or TV role. I just thought his interviews between matches were the absolute craziest. Time to take a 10-20 minute Youtube break to check them out...

10. Toys R Us Exclusive Marvel Legends Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent Coulson Action Figure (Hasbro)
This is the figure that makes the Marvel Legends Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 3-pack worth getting. I’ve wanted to get a Phil Coulson action figure ever since the Avengers movie and I’ve very happy that we’re finally getting such a good one. The inclusion of a second head and the Destroyer gun is just icing on the cake. The sculpt, proportions, and articulation are all great and I’m sure Hasbro will get much more use out of the mold for this body. The likeness to Clark Gregg is more than good enough, although a more detailed paintjob would have been welcomed.
Now that I have this figure, I’m feeling greedy and I want even more figures from the Marvel Cinematic/TV Universe. I’d love to see more Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. such as, Skye (Quake), Mockingbird, May, and Deathlok as well as movie characters like Agent Carter, Falcon, Dum Dum Dugan, Red Skull, The Warriors Three, Lady Sif, Odin, Whiplash, Mandarin, and so many more. Plus a 1:12 scale Lola (Coulson’s flying Corvette) would be awesome.

9. First Blood Part II Classic Video Game Appearance Rambo Action Figure (NECA)
I know I had the Rambo Nintendo game as a kid, but I really don’t remember it. It must not have been very good. Regardless, this is a Rambo figure in my favorite colors that can just as easily pass as player two from Contra, which is a game I DO remember fondly. Now I want an Arnold from Predator in a blue color scheme.

8. Marvel Legends Infinite Series Daredevil Action Figure (Hasbro)
I don’t know what happened to this figure, but when I got it out of the box I was convinced that someone had accidentally molded it out of taffy instead of plastic. I had heard that the batons from this set were incredibly rubbery, but with the one I bought, the figure was just as bad. He was even worse than the Nova figure I have. It’s not like he had gotten soft from the heat, because my area was still very cold when this figure arrived, so it must have been a bad batch of plastic. Thankfully after about a week, the figure has hardened and is about the average hardness for a Marvel Legend.
Had this problem not corrected itself, Daredevil would have ranked very poorly on this list, but it did so now I have in my possession what is now my favorite Daredevil action figure. The batons are still way too soft, but I’m fine with equipping him with some from an older figure.

7. Ultra Deluxe Robocop with Jetpack and Assault Cannon Action Figure (NECA)
It didn’t think I would ever need another Robocop figure, but NECA really sold me with the inclusion of the Jet pack and arm cannon. The the rifle is pretty great too. I have to say that I’m really not a fan of the leg holster. In theory it’s great, but the reality of it is that it comes apart fairly easily and it makes the leg seem a bit fragile. If there was one more thing I would of wanted from this figure, it would be a removable helmet. I assume likeness rights have kept that from happening.

6. Arrow: Deathstroke Action Figure (DC Collectibles)
DC is an incredible job of getting a lot of their characters on the small screen in the last few years. Ten years ago we had a Superman on TV that they were too embarrassed to even put in a costume (or even go by the name Superman) now we have characters like (Green)Arrow, (Black) Canary, and Flash that are clearly visually inspired by their comic book counterparts. Deathstroke is no different. The figure looks like it can fit right along side not only other TV based figures, but also comic and video game based figures. This design would have been right at home in either the New 52 or a Batman Arkham game.
DC Collectibles is really pulling it together with their figures lately and this one really seems to hit all the important points that I look for in an action figure. It has a detailed sculpted, an abundant amount of useful articulation, clean paint applications, and plenty of relevant accessories. This is turning out to be a great line and as long as they stick to this level of quality, I’ll be very happy to continue getting these figures.

5. Disney Store Exclusive Marvel Select Avenging Hawkeye Action Figure (Diamond Select Toys)
Last month I stated that the new Marvel Legends Hawkeye was my new favorite Hawkeye figure, well, that reign didn’t last long. This is by far my new favorite “Hawkguy”. Plus, Lucky the Pizza Dog!

4. Transformers Generations Leader Class Megatron Action Figure (Hasbro)
This is exactly the Megatron figure I’ve been hoping to get for years. His robot model is very faithful to the Generation 1 look, he’s got an overall great sculpt and plenty of useful articulation. I have perfectly fine with his alt mode being a tank rather than a handgun, as a matter of fact I prefer it. SIze wise, it just makes more sense. The figure is much bigger than I expected, much larger than Optimus Prime from this line, so I’m not quite sure where to fit him in my collection. HIs scale doesn’t really fit with many Transformers that I have, but it doesn’t keep me from appreciating of awesome this figure is.

3. Disney Store Exclusive Marvel Select The Mighty Thor Action Figure (Diamond Select Toys)
Best 6”-7” scale Thor ever. The spinning hammer accessory just takes it over the top.

2. Marvel Legends Infinite Series Spider-Man Action Figure (Hasbro)
Such an awesome Spidey action figure! It looks great, the articulation is just the right amount, and the accessories just knock it out of the park.
When I learned that a Figma base plugged into his back perfectly, I couldn’t stop placing him in all kinds of Spidey poses.
This is the new standard that all the Marvel Legends should try to reach. Great look, articulation, and accessories.

1. One: 12 Collective Presents: The Dark Knight Batman Action Figure (Mezco Toyz)


Wow. Just, wow.
When I first saw this figure I thought it just looked alright. After I read about the price I thought it was one I was going to have to pass on. Then I saw it in person at New York Comic Con and thought I may just have to reconsider.
When the figure came out, I heard nothing but good things and decided to take a chance on it even with it’s hefty price tag.
Now that I have it in hand, I totally get it. It’s not a figure that should be described, it’s one that needs to be experienced. This is what a collectible action figure should be.
I’m going to need to get a second job because of this toy line.

That's it for this month, I'll be back soon with March's finds. Until then, good luck with your toy hunting!

0 comments:

Post a Comment