Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Top 20 NEW Toy Finds of August 2014: 16 thru 20


TOP 20 NEW TOY FINDS OF THE MONTH OF AUGUST 2014

At the end of each month I, Brunpuppies, will put together a list of the top toys that I acquired over the course of the month. The number of entries will differ depending on just how many toys I got in that month. The order of the list will be based purely on my personal opinion of the items and is in no way definitive. I'm sure you the reader will have you own favorites and I am open to hearing about them in the comments section.


For me, August has been a HUGE month for toy finds, so much so that I will be doing two separate lists of toys. The first list will consist of new toys that have been released within the past 6 months to a year. The second list will have old toys that have been out of production for at least a year or much much longer.

The toys on this list are all new. They came from a variety of different sources. Some I got at the Boston Comic Con I attended earlier this month, others were online or store exclusives, others came from unusually shopping sources like grocery stores or clothing bargain outlets, and many just came from the usual brick and mortar stores.

20. (Tie) X-Men Marvel Legends Infinite Series Magneto Action Figure  (Hasbro)
While many people see this as a replacement for the Magneto from series 2 of Toy Biz's Marvel Legends, and many more see this as the first real chance to add the classic villain to their collection, I see it more as a classic character I was stuck getting in order to complete the Jubilee build-a-figure. Luckily I was was able to score the entire series at an incredibly low price from ToyRUs.com, so it didn't really bother me to have to get him. (Yes, I was one of the lucky ones that didn't have his preorder cancelled.)

This is certainly a passable representation of the Master of Magnetism, it just isn't all that special. I definitely don't see it as being much better than the one that came out 12 years ago now. As a matter of fact, I find the older one much easier to pose and I like the fact that the helmet is removable. I think a lot of people were put off by the fact that it reused many of the parts from the Iron Man in the previous series, but now reuse is such a common practice that I don't see any problem with it at all.

I really wish a variant of this new figure had been made that depicts his current black and white costume. As it is, I'm fine with having two Magnetos (Magnetoes?), one to display with my X-Men and one with my Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.



20. (Tie) X-Men Marvel Legends Infinite Series Wolverine Action Figure (Hasbro)
Oh hey, look, it's another Wolverine Marvel Legend.

He's unmasked this time.

This is a perfectly adequate Wolverine to get if you don't already have one or you just like collecting this character. Considering I skipped the similar figure from the Marvel Legends Wolverine: Puck series, I'm fine with having this modern representation of Logan.

There just isn't all that much to get excited about here.


19. Hot Wheels Classic TV Series Batmobile - HW Imagination (Mattel)
A diecast Batmobile from the 1960's Batman TV show for under a buck...

Yes please. I'll take two.

How has it taken me about 25 years to remember how cool Hot Wheels are?




18. Fantastic Four Thing Building Blocks MiniFigure (Knock-Offs)
I'm a huge fan of LEGO, but sometimes it takes them way too long to come out with certain popular characters as minifigures. Not only that, often the really cool minifigures only come with really expensive sets that I'm not all that interested in getting.  When this happens, I'm sometimes willing to break my allegiance to LEGO and turn to the Asian unlicensed knock-offs. Their character availability and super low prices are just too tempting.

I'm a big Fantastic Four fan and the Thing is by far my favorite member of the team/family. The fact that he appears on the Marvel Lego video game, but not in a single set is a total crime. When I saw that they was not one, but THREE versions of the character available on ebay.com from China, I had to get myself a set.

I have no regrets.

These figures are near Lego quality and they look great. The three boulder pieces that came with them are a nice bonus. I just have to go ahead and get the rest of the Four.



17. World of Nintendo Yoshi Action Figure (Jakks Pacific)

Yep, I just got this as a sidekick to display alongside my S.H. Figuarts Super Mario. I've never really spent much time playing video games that included Yoshi, but I always thought he was a neat addtion to the franchise. The scale and sculpt of this figure is perfect and the articulation is just enough. A Birdo like this would be just fine.



16. X-Men Marvel Legends Infinite Series Storm Action Figure (Hasbro)
With Storm, Cyclops, Wolverine, and even Magneto, the majority of this series is made up of people that currently are or have been X-Men team leaders. Storm has the distinction of being the first to dethrone Cyclops as the leader and she once did so without the benefit of her powers. She's lead one form or another of the X-Men ever since. Currently she is leading and all female team of the X-Men .(Why not X-Women? Who knows!)

This action figure depicts Storms current look as leader of that team. She's gone back to sporting a mohawk as she did back in the 80's and I have to say that the look works for her. The costume itself isn't one she's worn for a very long time, but it at least has many of the typical details that are associated with the character such as the colors, her arm cape-things, and tall boots with heels. It's a nice, fairly simple and sleek design.

This figure really highlights how much better the female figures have gotten since the Toy Biz and early Hasbro days. It looks very well proportioned and feminine. It just suffers from the same issue that I have with almost every female action figure, it is a real pain in the @$$ to get in a standing position without falling over. Other than that, this figure is great.

Continue to Toys 11 thru 15

6 thru 10      1 thru 5

Check out the Top Toys for June and July


TOY REVIEWS:
Click Here for a review of the Nicktoons Ninja Turtles Slash action figure.
Click Here for a review of the Ninja Turtles Movie Shredder action figure.
Click Here for a review of the Ninja Turtles Movie Raphael action figure.
Click Here for a review of the Disney Exclusive Indiana Jones action figure.
Click Here for a review of Marvel Select Amazing Spider-Man 2 action figure.
Click Here for a review of Warrior Claw Wolverine action figure.
Click Here for a review of the DC Collectibles Batman action figure.
Click Here for a review of the DC Collectibles Nightwing action figure.
Click Here for a review of Talon and other action figures.
Click Here for a review of the DC Collectibles Bizarro action figure.
Click Here for a review of the DC Multiverse '89 Batman action figure.
Click Here for a review of Link from Legend of Zelda.

The opinions expressed by the HiddenLevel Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of HiddenLevel.org or anyone involved in the running of this site. HiddenLevel is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the Bloggers of this site.
The HiddenLevel Blog was founded as site for contributors to be able to express their opinions and share news about the interest they enjoy.  The main purpose is to have fun.
Other sites are welcome to use the information found on this sit as long as credit and a link are provided.  For and questions you may have or for further information about the site, please contact hiddenlevel.team@gmail.com


0 comments:

Post a Comment