Monday, September 15, 2014

Top 10 OLD Toy Finds for August

TOP 10 OLD TOY FINDS OF THE MONTH OF AUGUST 2014

At the end of each month I, Brunpuppies, will put together a list of the top toys that I acquired over the course of the month. The number of entries will differ depending on just how many toys I got in that month. The order of the list will be based purely on my personal opinion of the items and is in no way definitive. I'm sure you the reader will have you own favorites and I am open to hearing about them in the comments section.


For me, August has been a HUGE month for toy finds, so much so that I've done two separate lists of toys. The first list was of new toys that have been released within the past 6 months to a year. This list will have old toys that have been out of production for at least a year or much much longer. I meant to have this list completed in the first week of September, but I got a little tied up trying to sell some of my old comics so that when I go to New York Comic Con in October, I'll have plenty of cash to spend on shiny new toys.

I've kept this list fairly short compared to my last list. Let's just get to it...


10. Batman Movie Joker w/ Squirting Orchid (Toy Biz)
I'm always happy to have another Joker action figure, but I can't really say that there is anything all that  special about this one.

I was very happy when my mother-in-law found yet another box of toys in the attic. This Joker is what jumped out at me first. The late 80's, early 90's were such a simpler time for action figures. The sculpt on this alone would probably have a hard time conveying the fact that this is meant to be the Joker, luckily the paint picks up the slack.

Honestly, I don't have much to say about this figure other than that I wish it still had the hose and pump that allowed you to squirt water out of the flower on his lapel. I didn't realize until after I took the photos that I also had his cane.


9. Playskool Heroes Star Wars Jedi Force Darth Vader Action Figure (Hasbro)
I saw this figure of Vader on clearance for under 2 bucks at Target and figured he was worth picking up.  His cartoony proportions are rather fun and the details are much better than one might expect from a "young kids" toy. The lightsaber is a permanent  part of his hand, which is fine, because it's less likely for a child to lose it that way, plus he just looks way cooler with it than without.

I may just end up giving it to a young family member or friend at some point, but for now it looks great displayed on my desk. The more I look at it, the more I think the helmet might be perfect to use on a 6" Star Wars Black figure.  We'll see.


8. TMNT Movie Shredder Action Figure  (Playmates)

Yep, this is a Shredder figure based on a movie that he never even appeared in.  It's not a bad take on the character at all, it just isn't exactly how I picture him. I will say that I really like the scale of this figure and the articulation isn't all that bad either.  Another big plus is that the helmet comes off, unfortunately on my figure some paint had rubbed of the nose.

While, they are nice additions to have, I don't think I'll be displaying Shredder with his weapon, shield, or sash. I just don't think he needs any of it. His blades and armor are enough. Although if he did have a cape, I would probably display him with that.


7. Marvel Legends 2012 Series 2 Variant: Masked Dark Wolverine Action Figure (Hasbro)
It amazes me just how many toys TJ Maxx has supplied me with over the past few years.

The only time I ever saw the Marvel Legends series 2 variants in my area was at a specialty shop and they were at an over inflated price.  That was a good two years ago. I never would have expected to see them for just $7 at TJ Maxx several years after their initial release. At first I was just going to get the Madame Hydra / Viper and Piledriver, since they were the completely original characters that I didn't own yet, but the great looking head sculpt on Dark Wolverine / Daken just looked sharp so I grabbed him too.

If you lost the arm tattoo and added a claw to each hand you would have a great brown costume Wolverine.  You might also want to glue down that belt, because it's a little annoying the way it just kind of floats around his waist.


6. Hong Kong Dragon - Bruce Lee Minimates Figure (Art Asylum)
I was really surprised when I came across this figure because I didn't realize Minimates came in this size. I've only recently gotten into collecting Minimates when Toys R Us had a huge clearance on them, so I was very unaware of their history.  I'd seen the slightly larger Lord of the Rings figures, but never any this size.

I would have preferred the yellow track suit Bruce Lee but I'm still happy to have this one. Functionally, this figure is the same as any other Minimate, it just happens to be twice the size. The size factor does seem to add to the coolness of the figure, although to be honest, I think I'd rather have this particular character be the same scale as a regular figure.  I'd much rather see someone like the Incredible Hulk at this big.


5. (Tie) Marvel Legends 2012 Series 2 Variant: Madame Hydra Action Figure (Hasbro)
Madame Hydra, aka Viper, formally Mrs. Logan, as a character is a worthy addition to the Marvel Legends line.  Unfortunately the head sculpt on this figure is not all that great, certainly striking, but far from pretty. I'm sure an exotic and older look would work for this particular character, but I think they went a bit too far on this figure. Other than that, the figure isn't all that bad. The body sculpt is definitely better than the female bodies Toy Biz was doing with the line. As usual, it's still a pain in the butt to get this female figure to stand.

The accessories all look good and are easy for Viper to hold. It was a cool bonus to get the Red Skull version of the Arnim Zola torso, but he's short a few limbs in order to be a full figure.  I may have to check if some of my other left over Build-a-Figure parts will plug into him.


5. (Tie) Marvel Legends 2012 Series 2 Variant: Wrecking Crew Piledriver Action Figure (Hasbro)
I'm very happy to be able to add one more member to the Wrecking Crew. If nothing else, he added a little color variation to the team considering green is the predominate color for the other two available members. I hope at some point we get Bulldozer to round out the team.

Piledriver on his own isn't all that interesting of a figure. His costume is about as plain as can be. Luckily his head sculpt manages to to convey a little bit of his attitude. His rather large stature is also a plus in my book.


4. DC Univerise Young Justice Kid Flash Action Figure (Mattel)
This figure has sat in my Amazon shopping cart for years now, but with a recent additional price drop, I finally ordered him. I first I didn't think I wanted another Kid Flash figure because I thought this wasn't that much different than the DC Universe Classics version, but it turned out that I like this figure much better.

Maybe it's the goggles.

The base is also a great addition. I think it does a much better job of conveying speed than any the other accessories that have come with various Flashes. Now that I really look at it, it seems like the speed limit sign is bent the wrong way if it's meant to depict the force of Kid Flash rushing by. Oh well. No big deal.


3. Toyfare Exclusive Robotech Last Stand VF-1S Roy Fokker (Toynami)

I don't know much about Robotech at all, but I do love giant robots. This was one of those super cheap deals that was just too good to pass up. I never got any of the Toyfare exclusives despite having every issue, so this was my first. I have to say, if this was the level of exclusives they were getting, I wish the magazine was still around.

I like everything about this figure except for one thing, the hip articulation. There is just a swivel joint at each hip rather than a ball joint, which means that the wide stance you see in the picture above is all you're going to get out of this figure.  Other than that, the articulation is great, and I like the gun and extra hands that come with the figure. I'm sure it might bother some people that this does not transform into any vehicle mode, but I've always been more of a fan of robot modes anyway.


2. TMNT Movie Splinter Action Figure  (Playmates)

I can say without a doubt that this is my favorite looking Splinter action figure. That's not to say that it's perfect, I could do without the shoulder pads and the super long chin hair, but the overall aesthetic is how I picture this great sensei to look.

This figure, along with Shredder, were the first figures I've ever gotten from the TMNT movie line, so I had forgotten that the line was more of a 6 inch scale rather than 5 inch like most of the other Turtle lines.  It really makes me wish that this was the scale the Playmates had always used. For now I'll just have to display the two enemies engaged in battle, but hopefully I can find myself a set of Turtles (and maybe Casey Jones) from this line at some point.


1. Batman Returns Bruce Wayne Action Figure 1992 (Kenner)

I don't know what it is about this goofy looking figure, but I love it.

It reminds me of a kid in a Halloween costume.  This was yet another find from my In-Laws' attic. I wish I had this figure as a kid, I'm sure I would have tried putting that costume on all kinds of other action figures. I have to hand it to my bother-in-law, he was really good at keeping all his figures together with their accessories and in great shape.

That Bruce Wayne figure on it's own is all kinds of wonderful. It's fantastic that even in his "civilian" clothes he walks around with a bat logo on his turtleneck sweater.  And just look at the chin! It's the complete opposite of the the big Bruce Timm animated series chin that Batman sported. Yet somehow it's so Michael Keaton.

I can't decide if my love is for all the right or wrong reasons.

Check out the Top Toys for JuneJuly and August


TOY REVIEWS:
Click Here for a review of the Nicktoons Ninja Turtles Slash action figure.
Click Here for a review of the Ninja Turtles Movie Shredder action figure.
Click Here for a review of the Ninja Turtles Movie Raphael action figure.
Click Here for a review of the Disney Exclusive Indiana Jones action figure.
Click Here for a review of Marvel Select Amazing Spider-Man 2 action figure.
Click Here for a review of Warrior Claw Wolverine action figure.
Click Here for a review of the DC Collectibles Batman action figure.
Click Here for a review of the DC Collectibles Nightwing action figure.
Click Here for a review of Talon and other action figures.
Click Here for a review of the DC Collectibles Bizarro action figure.
Click Here for a review of the DC Multiverse '89 Batman action figure.
Click Here for a review of Link from Legend of Zelda.

The opinions expressed by the HiddenLevel Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of HiddenLevel.org or anyone involved in the running of this site. HiddenLevel is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the Bloggers of this site.
The HiddenLevel Blog was founded as site for contributors to be able to express their opinions and share news about the interest they enjoy.  The main purpose is to have fun.
Other sites are welcome to use the information found on this sit as long as credit and a link are provided.  For and questions you may have or for further information about the site, please contact hiddenlevel.team@gmail.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment