Monday, August 11, 2014

Raphael in Trenchcoat Sketch by Jim Lawson

This past Thursday I had the displeasure of watching the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie. It was truly a disappointment in nearly every way. Fortunately, rather than make me lose my interest in the property, I have instead become more thankful for the the good Ninja Turtle material that we do have. The original movie becomes that much more precious in comparison. The new IDW comic book and the Nicktoons cartoon shine even brighter as wonderful examples of how entertaining the Heroes in a Half-Shell can be. The stories of the Turtles the sticks out the the most in my mind at the moment are the ones from Mirage comics, especially Tales of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

My all time favorite artist from that title was Jim Lawson. There is just something about his style and the way he draws are the TMNT related characters that I have always thought was really cool.  About 10 years ago I had the pleasure of meeting him at a comic convention and getting a sketch from him.  To this day, it's still my favorite sketch that I've gotten from any artist. I just wanted to share it today as a reminder that there is some really great Ninja Turtle material out there and to not turn your back on the Green Teens because of some crappy movie.

(click on sketch to enlarge.)

For more Jim Lawson artwork, check out jimlawsonart.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment