Saturday, June 13, 2015

25 Toy Finds of April

25 TOY FINDS OF THE MONTH OF
April 2015

At the end of each month I, Brunpuppies, will put together a list of the toys that I acquired over the course of the month. The number of entries will differ depending on just how many toys I got in that month. The order of the list will be based purely on my personal opinion of the items and is in no way definitive. I'm sure you the reader will have you own favorites and I am open to hearing about them in the comments section.
So it looks like I'm reeeeeally late on doing my list for April. Oh well, it happen. I don't do much of anything to share my list anymore anyway. It was very rare that I would ever get any interesting responses to these articles on Facebook or Reddit and I never liked dealing with trolls. Really I just do this for myself so that I can keep track of when I got my toys and my initial thoughts about them. 

So here they are:

25. DC Super Heroes! Blind Pack Mini Figures (Blip)

Some cool little figures I found for under a buck on clearance at Target. They are perfect for adding some “flair” to my office desk at work.

24. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Stockman-Fly (Playmates)

I think I’m starting to get use to the quality of this Playmates line because this figure didn’t bother me as much as the last few that I’ve picked up. Sure there’s still a lot of paint apps missing and it could use more articulation, but at least the sculpt is solid and the scale works with the Turtles.

23. Marvel Legends Infinite Series Iron Man Mark 43 Action Figure (Hasbro)

Yay. A repaint. I’m so very excited.
The only real selling points are the Build-a-Figure part and the alternate, open-faceplate head. (I do, however wish that the faceplate was a little higher, because as it is it seems like tony would have a very hard time seeing without tilting his head back and looking down.) Some might even prefer the fact that this had a more traditional, red dominant over gold color scheme than the the Mark 42 had. I certainly would if the back of the figure wasn’t almost entirely unpainted. 

21. Marvel Legends Infinite Series Captain America Action Figure (Hasbro)

I think I’m finally starting to get just a little tired of Captain America action figures, even though this represents my favorite movie costume yet. Maybe it’s the fact that it reuses so many parts from the Winter Soldier figure that keeps if from feeling very special. I think I can do without a Cap figure for a long while, unless it’s armor that Tony Stark made him in the 90’s. That I would buy.
And a Cap Wolf of course.

22. World of Nintendo The Legend of Zelda Link Mini Figure (JAKKS Pacific)

What can I say? I like Link and this is a cute little figure, so I picked it up. Too bad he’s nearly impossible to stand up unless he’s leaning on something.

20. LEGO City Garbage Truck Mini Set (LEGO)

It’s been quite a while since I’ve purchased any LEGO polybags (I use to pick up just about any I came across) but when I saw this for about a dollar on clearance, I figured I might as well pick it up. It’s a fun little build and it reminds me why I liked getting this so much. I just wish that toys, especially LEGO, weren’t getting so freakin’ expensive. Just a year or two ago I was getting more LEGO per month than I’ve purchased so far this entire year. Now I don’t even really consider a getting a set unless it’s heavily marked down.

19. Marvel Legends Infinite Series Hulk Action Figure (Hasbro)

I really love getting new Hulk figures, but there is just something about this figure that falls flat for me. The articulation and the look of the legs just doesn’t seem right. The legs are too long and are a bit bowlegged. Strangely, I don’t like the double joints on either the legs or the arms. They work great for leaner characters, but just look wrong on a bulky character like the Hulk. The smooth torso with the textured arms is a bit distracting too.
I do like the head sculpt and the fact that he has two fists though.

18. The Walking Dead TV Series 4 Carl Grimes Action Figure (McFarlane Toys)

I skipped the first Carl figure because I knew that this older version was coming along and I personally like his character more now that he has grown a bit. When he was younger, I was just always pissed that he wouldn’t stay in the f#@king house when he was told! Now that he can hold his own during a zombie attack,he’s a lot more bearable. I just wish this figure came with another weapon. The can of pudding is a very cool episode specific prop though.

17. Marvel Legends Infinite Series Fierce Fighters Hellcat Action Figure (Hasbro)

Not a terribly exciting action figure, but I do like getting another Defender to add to my collection. 

16. The Flash Action Figure (DC Collectibles)

I absolutely love The Flash TV show and I was extremely happy when this figure was announced. When the figure finally came out, I wasn’t all that happy with it. The skinny proportions and the poor likeness of the head sculpt really detracted from my overall enjoyment of the figure. I also think it’s crazy that a base wasn’t included so that you can put him in dynamic running poses. I just hope DC Collectibles does better when The Flash gets his inevitable costume update (hopefully the one seen on the show  in the newspaper from the future.)

15. Revoltech Toy Story Woody Action Figure (Kaiyodo?)

I really had no idea that what I was getting was a bootleg (at least I hope it is and not just typical Revoltech quality). Everything about the look of the figure and packaging would lead me to believe that it’s the real deal, but the quality is pretty bad. Mostly my issue is with the joints. They are just made of such cheap plastic that every time I go to pose the figure, I feel like they are going to shatter. Some of them are also very loose. It’s a shame because I really like the look of the figure and I think if the joints were better that I would absolutely love this toy. I guess I’ll just have to find one good pose to display him in.

14. Marvel Legends Infinite Series Fierce Fighters Spider-Woman Action Figure (Hasbro)

I’m very happy to have this Spider-Woman to take the place of the old Toy Biz figure. It sure looks a heck of a lot better and the articulation is much less awkward. My only real issue is with the odd hand poses. I wish it had come with some interchangeable hands like Spider-Man.

13. Sprukits Level 2 Dark Knight Joker Action Figure Model Kit (Bandai)

I didn’t even know this kit was coming out yet, but I enjoyed the Batman kits so much that I snagged this one the second I saw it. So far Barnes and Nobles is the only place I’ve come across it, but I assume Target of Toys R Us will carry it soon. This figure was a quick build and the final result looks pretty good. He fits in perfectly with the Batman model from the first series. I was worried that the stickers that go on the face would look terrible and cheap, but it turned out pretty nice (even if I did apply one of the eyes just a little crooked.)

12. Marvel Legends Infinite Series Batroc Action Figure (Hasbro)

It’s great to have another villain to face off against one of two dozen (give or take) Captain America figures, especially one as out there as Batroc! This is not a character I ever thought we’d get from the Marvel Legends line, but I for one am happy to have him. Some people might be sick of this particular body mold being reused yet again, but I think it’s perfect for a character like this.
Plus, bonus points for the awesome moustache.

11. Batman: The Animated Series: Robin Action Figure (DC Collectibles)

I really like the vibrant colors on this figure and think it’s a wonderful contrast to the Batman figure from this line even though technically that are from two different animated series. Personally, this is my favorite version of the Robin costume. I has the classic colors, but it looks much more modern than bikini bottoms and pixie shoes. I do however feel that this figure is just a bit too small. Robin looks a bit too much like a little kid rather than the college age teen that he was on the show.

10. Marvel Legends Infinite Series Thanos Build-a-Figure Action Figure (Hasbro)

It seems crazy that this is the first time Thanos is being released in the Marvel Legends line! You would think that he would have been released back in the early days of the Toy Biz line. Luckily I’ve been perfectly happy using the Marvel Selects version along side my Legends so I was perfectly fine with this Thanos having a more modern appearance. The figure itself is great, I just think that there was a missed opportunity in having two figures come with the same head and arm build-a-figure parts. I would have been great to have two heads with different expressions and one of the two arms outfitted with an Infinity Gauntlet.

9. Real Grade 1/144 Destiny Gundam Action Figure Model Kit (Bandai)

Surprisingly, this is the first Real Grade model kit that I’ve made. What’s different about an RG model is that it the outer panels of the Gundam are built on to an endoskeleton rather just interlocking with one another to create the mecha. This allows for a much more solid figure that has better articulation and more intricate detail. Usually these are a little more expensive than the typical model, but Barnes and Noble has this on clearance so it was worth checking out. I ended up enjoying the build quite a bit and am very happy with the end result. Well, at least with how it looks and moves. One thing that I have a problem with is getting this thing to balance. Heck, I can’t even get it to stand up-right most of the time. I think my best bet is to pick up a fight stand for this thing, especially since it has wings. I’m sure I’ll enjoy it more once I can get it into some flight poses.

8. Batman: The Animated Series: The Joker Action Figure (DC Collectibles)

I really wanted to get this figure when it came out, but every time I saw it in any of my local comic stores there was always some sort of paint issue. After about a month of waiting, there was a substantial price drop on Amazon and I figured I would take a chance on an unseen figure. Fortunately I lucked out and got a Joker figure with a really nice paint job. In general, I am very happy with this figure and I am very glad to see that DC Collectibles has started using better, less fragile plastic with their products.

7. HGBF 1/144 Hi-Mock Action Figure Model Kit (Bandai)

This is an very inexpensive and easy to build model, but boy is it fun. I love the blocky proportions and the militaristic look of the mecha. The best thing about this figure is how perfectly balanced this figure is. I had no problem getting it into all kinds of poses even when it was on one foot! I think this might just become an army builder for me.

6. Star Wars 1/12 R2-D2 & R5-D4 Action Figure Model Kit (Bandai)

I didn’t realize it until I had them both, but this R2 looks and is scaled so much better than the Hasbro Star Wars Black Series figure. It’s one of those times where I didn’t have any problem with something until I had a better version to compare it to. Now I feel almost cheated by the Hasbro one.
I really like the fact that this set comes with two droids rather that just R2, especially since the two can share different parts, although building them did feel a little repetitive since both have mostly the same parts. That being said, I still wouldn’t mind building a few more astromechs, especially R4-K5.

5. HGBF GM Sniper K9 1/144 Action Figure Model Kit (Bandai)

Another fantastic and fun model kit. It’s a blast to pose, it looks great, and the fact that it come with a giant gun / dog robot / backpack is just awesome!

4. Figma 096 Michael Jackson Thriller Action Figure (Max Factory / Good Smile Company)

I almost picked up the S.H. Figuarts Smooth Criminal Michael Jackson figure a few times, but I’m really happy that I held out until I could find this one at a reasonable price. As far as I’m concerned, the Thriller look is just more iconic. Plus, zombie Michael Jackson! This figure moves very well and you can have it pull off all kinds of classic dance moves. I’m really glad that I finally got around to picking him up.

3. HGUC Jesta Cannon High Grade Universal Century 1/144 Gundam Unicorn Action Figure Model Kit (Bandai)

One of my very first Gundam models was a Jesta that shares 85% of it’s parts with this one, but the remaining 15% makes this one more than worth getting. The additional weapons and armor make this figure more of battle tank of a robot than the previous one. I think as of right now the Jesta mechas are my favorite style robots from the Gundam line.

2. One Piece: Monkey D. Luffy 1/8 Master Grade Action Figure Model Kit (Bandai)

I know next to nothing about One Piece, but when I found this model in a little out-of-the-way hobby shop for a very reasonable price, I couldn’t pass it it up, because it just looked too cool. At 10+ inches, it’s bigger than most figures I collect, but I’m fine with it considering how much fun it is. The build is equivalent to assembling a Level 3 SpruKits model and even kind of fit with them in scale. What really makes this figure great is all the additional parts. The different faces and hands as well as the extended arms and legs, allow for all kinds of display options. I’m having a hard time settling on a look and pose to display him in.

1. Star Wars 1/12 C-3PO Action Figure Model Kit (Bandai)

I absolutely love making this Star Wars models, especially when they look this good. I know some people hate vacuum metallized plastic figures, but screw them, this looks awesome! Don’t like it, well it's a model, so go ahead and paint it anyway you want. I’m going to stick with the chrome goodness. I really hope this like goes on to include all kinds of droids.

That's it for this month. Hopefully I'll get to the next few months much sooner. I may have to combine a few months to catch up. Below are a few more pictures of this month's toys.








0 comments:

Post a Comment