Monday, October 6, 2014

Top 30 Toy Finds of September 2014: 1 thru 5


TOP 30 NEW TOY FINDS OF THE MONTH OF SEPTEMBER 2014
(thru 5)

At the end of each month I, Brunpuppies, will put together a list of the toys that I acquired over the course of the month. The number of entries will differ depending on just how many toys I got in that month. The order of the list will be based purely on my personal opinion of the items and is in no way definitive. I'm sure you the reader will have you own favorites and I am open to hearing about them in the comments section.


September's toy list reaches the top 5 with…


5. Play Arts Kai 1987 Robocop Action Figure (Square Enix)

This is one of the two Robocops that I got by selling/trading some comics this past month. I was a little sad to see some of my comics go, but they were taking up so much space that I would rather use towards displaying my toys. Plus, I don't remember the last time I read a comic that wasn't on my iPad. Digital comics are quite the space saver.

This is one of my first Play Arts Kai figures so I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I'm pretty happy with it overall. The scale takes some getting use to, because I can't think of anything else I have in this size. The sculpt and paint are fantastic, but the articulation, while very good, is a little less than I expected. I'm not sure if this is typical for Play Arts or if it's because this particular mechanical character doesn't really need much more. I'm sure that the figure has a better range of movement than even Peter Weller had in the suit.

I'm very happy to have these action figures and I think they were well worth the trade, but at the price point these typically go for, I'm not sure I'd get any others any time soon. At a 35% to 50% sale I could see mayself maybe picking up a Play Arts Batman.


4. Play Arts Kai 2014 Robocop 1.0 Action Figure (Square Enix)

I'm sure a lot of people might think I'm crazy for placing the new Robocop over the original on this list, but everything I liked about the figure of the '87 version, I liked even more on this one. The articulation for one, moves much better on Robocop '14.  The paint and sculpt seem to be more detailed and the accessories are just a little cooler.  I think another big plus is the fact that this version doesn't have NECA and MacFarlane figures to compete with.

When it comes down to it, these two figures look great together and that is how I plan to display them. I like them so much that I'm really tempted to get Robocop 3.0 to complete the set. I'd still want to wait for a decent sale though.


3. Tamashii Nations Kamen Rider No.1 (Sakurajima Version "Kamen Rider" - S.H. Figuarts Action Figure (Bandai)

This figure missed out on the number 2 slot for one reason and one reason only: SCALE.

I've said it dozens of times on this site, but in case you don't know, my preferred scale is 6" also known as 1/12 scale. This doesn't mean it's the only scale I'm interested in, I have plenty of 3-3/4"(1/18) scale, 7" scale, 12" (1/6) scale, and even 5" scale figures that I collect. What I don't have any of is this strange 5-1/2"scale that this figure seems to be.

I had no idea the scale was going to be an issue, because Shocker, the one other Kamen Rider figure I have is sized perfectly for 6" scale. Had this Kamen Rider been the same, I would have been overjoyed with it. As it is, this is still a very cool figure. The articulation, paint, sculpt, and accessories are all outstanding as one would expect from S.H. Figuarts figures. On it's own, this is one heck of a fun and dynamic toy.

Now I just need to get him his motorcycle.


2. Walgreens Exclusive Spider-Man Marvel Legends Infinite Series Agent Venom Action Figure (Hasbro)

Of all the various exclusives headed to Walgreens, this is the one I was the most excited about. I was a big fan of the recent Venom comic staring Flash Thompson as the man with the symbiote and I was saddened by is cancellation. I felt he was a much more interesting character than Eddie Brock had been as Venom. Last year when the Disney Store had this very same character as an exclusive Marvel Select (why is this guy always an exclusive?) I made sure to pick one up because I thought there wasn't much of a chance he would be made into a Marvel Legend.      Of course I was wrong.

This figure is as good, if not better than the Disney one. The Disney Store version had better paint, but this one has the additional tendrils that plug into the back, it has more guns, and it's in my preferred scale. The articulation is also a little better which makes it more fun to pose. the only tiny gripe I have with it is that I wish the hands held the guns a little better.  Other than that, it's the standard that all other Marvel Legends should live up to.


1. Tamashii Nations "Mazinger Z" Super Robot Chogokin Action Figure and Weapon Set (Bandai)

I don't even have the words to say how much I like this action figure.  It's everything a figure should be in one word; FUN!

Mazinger Z (or Tranzor Z as the U.S. cartoon was renamed) was one of my favorite toy/cartoon properties as kid, that unfortunately I kind of lost track of as I got older because it didn't have as much of a following in America as others like Transformers, He-Man, and even ThunderCats.  I only ever had one Mazinger toy as a kid and is was a little Popy Great Mazinger. (see picture to the right) It wasn't much, but I loved playing with that thing. I loved the cartoon, maybe even as much as Voltron.  I think what I liked about it was that one pilot got a whole robot to himself and even had a mini jet.

Even without those memories, this toy would seriously impress me. Right now it's even the top contender for my favorite toy of the year. There is just something so cool about a die cast action figure that is so well balanced and can hold just about any position you can put him in. The accessories, including the ones from the Weapons Set, just take him to the next level.

There isn't much I could say to do it justice.  To begin to appreciate him, it's best to just see it.  I have put together a gallery of photos to show him off. Take a look by clicking the link below:

Mazinger Z Photo Gallery


Be sure to come back for TOYS 1 thru 5.

Click below for:
TOYS 6 thru 10
TOYS 11 thru 15
TOYS 16 thru 20
TOYS 21 thru 25
TOYS 26 thru 30



The opinions expressed by the HiddenLevel Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of HiddenLevel.org or anyone involved in the running of this site. HiddenLevel is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the Bloggers of this site.
The HiddenLevel Blog was founded as site for contributors to be able to express their opinions and share news about the interest they enjoy.  The main purpose is to have fun.
Other sites are welcome to use the information found on this sit as long as credit and a link are provided.  For and questions you may have or for further information about the site, please contact hiddenlevel.team@gmail.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment