Saturday, October 4, 2014

Top 30 Toy Finds of September 2014: 11 thru 15


TOP 30 NEW TOY FINDS OF THE MONTH OF SEPTEMBER 2014
(11 thru 15)


At the end of each month I, Brunpuppies, will put together a list of the toys that I acquired over the course of the month. The number of entries will differ depending on just how many toys I got in that month. The order of the list will be based purely on my personal opinion of the items and is in no way definitive. I'm sure you the reader will have you own favorites and I am open to hearing about them in the comments section.


September's toy list continues with…


15. SpruKits Halo The Master Chief Action Figure Model Kit (Bandai)

2014 is going to mark the year that I added model building to my long list of hobbies. As long as companies like Bandai keep making these awesome sets that double as fun action figures, I'll keep buying.

Halo action figures have been covered pretty extensively by MacFarlane Toys over the years. Since I've always been a Playstation guy rather than XBOX, I've never been into Halo. That coupled with their typical 5" scale has generally kept me away from the figures. I do have one, but that's because I found it for $1 at a going out of business sale and figured it was worth checking out. It was nice enough, but it didn't really get me interested enough to get any more. It's a bit funny that I would jump at the chance to get a model kit which results in a figure that would fit in perfectly with that line.

My previous Batman and Gundam model builds left be hungry for more and luckily this set didn't disappoint. An armored character lends itself perfectly to this type of toy. It's very satisfying to see a figure like this come together. If I could have this much fun putting together a model of a property I don't care about, I can only image how much fun it would be to put together something I enjoy like an Iron Man suit of armor.


14. Mr. Incredible Deluxe Action Figure (Thinkway Toys)

I love almost of Pixar's movies (Cars and A Bug's Life I only like, not love) but my favorite may just be The Incredibles. That shouldn't be to big of a surprise considering how much I love superheroes. I've wanted a good line of action figures from this movie for a long time and I really hope this is the beginnings of one. It seems like this line is going to encompass a lot of the different Pixar movies including Finding Nemo, Up, Wall-E, Ratatouille, and of course the Incredibles. So far only Mr. Incredible and Syndrome have been announced in 6" scale (as far as I know) from this movie.

This figure looks and moves great and the scale is perfect to fit in with other lines of 6" figures. This is a very fun figure to pose and yes, play around with. The base is nice to have although I find it tips easily in extreme poses and the claw is a nice addition even if it is undersized compared to the movie. The only thing I would caution people about this figure is that I saw a lot of figures with poorly painted masks on the the store shelves. Other than that, I am very happy with this figure and I hope we get the rest of the Incredibles family soon.

Holy Moly! I just realized The Incredibles is 10 years old now!


13. Magic: The Gathering Legacy Ajani Goldmane Action Figure (Funko)

I can't believe it's been nearly 20 years since I played a game of Magic: The Gathering. I only ever played it for about a year when I was a sophomore in high school, but it gave me chance to meet some interesting people. I think when it came down to it, I was more interested in putting my money towards comics rather than cards. Although I kind of remember wishing I could find people into playing the Marvel and DC Overpower card game.

Anyway, the reason I got this figure wasn't because of any nostalgia for my gaming days, I don't even know if this character existed back then, instead it was because this figure just looked cool. I have to say, I thought the promo pictures for this figure looked better than when I finally found him in stores, but that seems to happen pretty often in the toy world. As it is, Goldmane is still a very cool looking figure. He reminds me of Battle Beast from the Invincible comic. That alone is enough to get me to buy him.


12. Mobile Suit XXXG-01S Shenlong Gundam 1/100 Scale Model Kit (Bandai)

I came across a old model shop recently when I had some time to kill and I decided to check it out. This place seemed like it had been around for decades and it had ton of really cool model kits of just about everything you could think of.  The problem was that that most were just the typical static models which don't really interest me that much. Especially since they usually require the use of glue which I hate dealing with. They did happen to have this one Gundam set. Considering it's probably been sitting in the store for over a decade, the price was very reasonable by today's standards.

This was my first 1/100 scale Gundam model build which translates to a figure that is just over 7" tall. I can definitely say that I find working in this scale much more rewarding than the 1/144 scale figures. It's fair say that in this case bigger is better. As usual, the articulation, the design, the colored plastic, and the accessories are all great on this figure. It's nice to know the these older kits were made to the same standard as the newer ones. I'm definitely going to have to track down more.


11. Star Wars Black Series Speeder Bike Vehicle and Biker Scout Figure (Hasbro)

Star War really has a lot of "army builder" potential characters. The price on this particular set is the only thing keeping me from getting more than one. Both the bike and the Scout look absolutely fantastic. I'm sure due to scale, Hasbro is going to be fairly limited on what vehicles they can make for this series, which is a shame because the details look great at this size. I have no doubt that this bike will be rereleased at some point with Leia and that the the Scout will be released on it's own. Both look too great to use only once.

I really have nothing negative to say about the set. I only hope that this does well and increases the chances of more cool vehicle sets. This line has succeeded in making me a big Star Wars fan again.

Be sure to come back for TOYS 6 thru 10.

Click below for:
TOYS 16 thru 20
TOYS 21 thru 25
TOYS 26 thru 30



The opinions expressed by the HiddenLevel Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of HiddenLevel.org or anyone involved in the running of this site. HiddenLevel is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the Bloggers of this site.
The HiddenLevel Blog was founded as site for contributors to be able to express their opinions and share news about the interest they enjoy.  The main purpose is to have fun.
Other sites are welcome to use the information found on this sit as long as credit and a link are provided.  For and questions you may have or for further information about the site, please contact hiddenlevel.team@gmail.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment