Sunday, November 9, 2014

Top 40 Toy Finds of October: 11 thru 15

TOP 40 NEW TOY FINDS OF THE MONTH OF
OCTOBER 2014
(11 thru 15)


At the end of each month I, Brunpuppies, will put together a list of the toys that I acquired over the course of the month. The number of entries will differ depending on just how many toys I got in that month. The order of the list will be based purely on my personal opinion of the items and is in no way definitive. I'm sure you the reader will have you own favorites and I am open to hearing about them in the comments section.


The list continues with

15. Captain America Marvel Legends Infinite Series: Ms. Marvel Action Figure (Hasbro)
Hasbro has come a long way with their Marvel Legends female action figures. Some of their earliest efforts were downright terrible, with Emma Frost being one of the most notable examples. Back when Toy Biz had the license for Marvel Legends they didn't do all that well either. Their female figures often had awkward bodies with intrusive articulation and faces that couldn't quite be called attractive. Lately, Hasbro female figures have been looking really good more often then not and they fit much better along side the male action figures. Thankfully this means that it's worthwhile for them to go back and redo some female characters that didn't get very good figures the first time around.

Ms. Marvel first got a figure back in the Wal-Mart exclusive Marvel Legends Giant Man series from Toy Biz. While that figure wasn't that bad compared to most at the time, it still used the unattractive lanky female body that was commonly used back then. Also, because it was an exclusive, it wasn't as easy for many people to find, so getting this new figure is something many fans were thankful for. (Unfortunately, it's another store exclusive.) This figure definitely looks much better than it's predecessor. Not only is it visually better, but the articulation also works great. The only issue I have at all with Ms. Marvel is that the parts that are painted flesh color, don't quite match the parts that are case in flesh color. Still a welcome upgrade though.


14. Game of Thrones Legacy Collection Series 2 - Brienne of Tarth Action Figure (Funko)
Now we go from one bad-ass female to another. This Brienne action figure is absolutely great. The detail and likeness is incredible. I think the sculpt of the face might even be prettier than she looks on the show. Not that I think the actress is unattractive, but because I think they make a conscience effort to downplay her looks on the show, (in the books she's considered very unattractive) where as the face on this figure looks more feminine. Brienne's armor is perfectly replicated on this figure and the paint does a wonderful job of bringing it all to life. I really wanted to rank this figure higher on my list, but the reason I didn't comes down to quality control.

Whatever glue was used on this figure, isn't doing a great job.  I had to reattached the armor on both gauntlets. I believe part of the issue is that it's being glued onto a painted surface, which isn't ideal. That just leads to the paint being pulled off by the glue rather than allowing the glue to bond with the plastic. I hope Funko has a chance to resolve this with future figures.

Other than requiring some minor repairs, this is an excellent figure.


13. Captain America Marvel Legends Infinite Series: Radioactive Man Action Figure (Hasbro)
This is just one of those rare cases of transparent plastic done right. I usually have no interest in clear plastic action figures because it's usually too distracting being able to see all the inner joints of a figure, but with Radioactive Man I think the clear plastic looks fantastic. Thankfully in this case the plastic is closer to translucent rather than just straight up transparent, and there's the fact that it's broken up a bit by solid opaque parts and paint. I think the color green also goes a long way towards making it look better than, say, clear or light blue plastic.

Another thing I really like about this figure is the body that was used. For some reason I didn't like this particular male body when it was used for Hyperion, but with Radioactive man I love it. I kind of wish it had been used with U.S. Agent figure, because I remember back in his early appearances he was depicted as being much bigger than Captain America and this body would have depicted that perfectly.

I know that this figure came as part of a Captain America set, but I've always considered Radioactive Man to be more of an Iron Man villain. I've already got plenty of bad guys for Cap to fight, but Iron Man could used a few more, so this guy is a very welcome addition to my collection.


12. Game of Thrones Legacy Collection Series 2 - Robb Stark Action Figure (Funko)

What I said about Brienne having a brilliant sculpt with wonderful detail, also applies to Robb Stark, King of the North. The layers of leather, cloth, and furs are perfectly detailed on this figure. The likeness to the actor may be one of the best in this entire line. Thankfully I haven't had any quality control issues with this figure at all. If I did have to pick out an issue with this figure it would be that the cape makes him a bit back heavy, but I don't know what could have been done to lighten it up other than using cloth (which I'm not suggesting.) It may have been nice to make it removable so that you could have different options for displaying him.

This is really an excellent effort by Funko, but it makes me really want them to start producing direwolves to go with the Stark siblings. Robb needs Grey Wind by his side.


11. #130 RGM-96X Jesta 1/144 Scale Action Figure Model Kit (Bandai)
I really can't believe it's taken me this long to realize just how fun making Gundam models can be. Up until six months ago I always completely ignored the very existence of this line. I have no idea why, I just didn't have any interest in the property. To be far, I still don't have much interest in the anime, but the action figure model kits have my full attention.

This is one of the kits I picked up at the Bandai booth at New York Comic Con. I honestly wish I had grabbed some more sets because they were going for very reasonable prices. Unfortunately, even though these kits produce figures that are only about 5" high, they come in very large boxes, making it difficult to carry them around the convention center then back through New York and on the train. Luckily this one figure that I settled on is awesome.

When it comes to Gundam, I seem to gravitate more towards the bulkier or more militaristic figures rather than the flashier, gimmicky figures. This Jesta figure is definitely more of a boots on the ground, battle grunt, then some of the other bright colored, pointy armored Gundams. I love how perfectly you can pose him to hold his guns and have him look natural. If you're an articulation junky when it comes to action figures and you haven't made a Gundam model, then you owe it to yourself to do so immediately.


The opinions expressed by the HiddenLevel Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of HiddenLevel.org or anyone involved in the running of this site. HiddenLevel is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the Bloggers of this site.
The HiddenLevel Blog was founded as site for contributors to be able to express their opinions and share news about the interest they enjoy.  The main purpose is to have fun.
Other sites are welcome to use the information found on this sit as long as credit and a link are provided.  For and questions you may have or for further information about the site, please contact hiddenlevel.team@gmail.com
Entertainment Earth

1 comment:

  1. I am very happy to discover your post as it will become on top in my collection of favorite blogs to visit. nerf gun review

    ReplyDelete