Monday, November 10, 2014

Top 40 Toy Finds of October: 6 thru 10

TOP 40 NEW TOY FINDS OF THE MONTH OF
OCTOBER 2014
(6 thru 10)


At the end of each month I, Brunpuppies, will put together a list of the toys that I acquired over the course of the month. The number of entries will differ depending on just how many toys I got in that month. The order of the list will be based purely on my personal opinion of the items and is in no way definitive. I'm sure you the reader will have you own favorites and I am open to hearing about them in the comments section.


The list continues with

10. Game of Thrones Legacy Collection Series 2 - Khal Drogo Action Figure (Funko)
Simply put Khal Drogo is a total bad-ass and I was really wanted his action figure for my collection. For the most part, it didn't disappoint. I only wish the figure had been just a little bit bigger. Definitely not The Mountain big, but at very least bigger than someone like Jaime Lannister. Besides the size issue, he came out great. Funko and Gentle Giant are producing wonderful, detailed sculpts with this line and the paint work really compliments it well. It's an action figure like this that gets me excited about the line.

To read my full review of Khal Drogo, click HERE.


9. Saint Seiya: Knights of the Zodiac Pegasus Action Figure (Bandai)
This figure is all about the armor...bright shiny chromed-out armor.

I know nothing at all about the anime, Saint Seiya, but the second I saw this action figure, I knew I wanted one. This figure represents my first purchase from the site, AliExpress.com which is kind of like the Amazon.com of the East. There is only one other item I've ordered off the site, but it was cancelled almost a month after I ordered it, so I'm still up in the air about whether I will use the site again. One thing I can say is that there are quite a few great toy deals on there though.

Anyway, back to the figure itself. This toy is a bit of a combination of traditional action figure and model kit. The character himself comes fully assembled, but all the armor comes in in pieces that are still attached to the sprues, much like a typical model. It all snaps together and doesn't really require any glue, but it will take you some time to assemble it all. Some pieces seem very delicate, and require a gentle touch to get them to snap together without breaking. This is definitely not a toy for small children. Once everything is together, you have a really great looking action figure. The chrome and gold really pop. I couldn't imagine wanting to display this guy without is armor, but I should note that the characters proportions are a little odd without it.

The figure is fully articulated and can pull off some great poses. It even has metal feet to help balance the figure, where as the rest of him is entirely plastic. It also comes with a variety of different faces, hands, and hairstyles to allow for different display options, though there is no way that I'm not displaying him with that cool looking helmet.


8. Gundam RX-78-2 Gundam HGUC 1/144 Scale Action Figure Model Kit (Bandai)
I couldn't get into Gundam model building without assembling the most recognizable one at some point. This is the "mobile suit" that I would always picture whenever someone would mention Gundam to me prior to my involvement in model building. It's also the one that has a full size (18 meters) statue in park in Tokyo. I think for that reason alone, it's fair to consider it a pop culture icon.

I believe at this point, the mold for figure might already be over a decade old, yet it holds up against any newer action figure. The articulation is plentiful and has a great range. Posing this figure is a blast. All the joints stay together very well and have yet to pop out on me, unlike many models that will have ball-joints that tend to come apart from time to time. The sculpt is very true to the original design and includes plenty of details. All the colors of the plastic are perfect and really don't require being painted if you don't want to. I, however, would love to take the next step at some point and add some paint detail to these models.

I see some brushes and paint markers being added to my Amazon cart really soon.


7. Game of Thrones Legacy Collection Series 2 - Jaime Lannister Action Figure (Funko)
I really don't see it getting much better than this. The details, textures and character likeness are all sculpted fantastically and the paint work is just perfect. The articualtion is just right for a character like this. He won't be getting into any incredibly flexible poses, nor should he, Jaime is a knight not an acrobat. Sure it would have been nice if he came with more accessories, but the one he does come with, his sword, is very well done. There is not a thing I would change on this figure.

It's pieces like this that make me hope that Funko gets many more licences to make 1/12 scale action figures of a variety of properties. NECA has got a handle on the 7" figures, Funko can take care of the 6" ones.

Speaking of NECA...


6. Rambo - First Blood Part II Action Figure (NECA)
I am a huge Rambo fan, but to be honest, I am more of a fan of First Blood than any of the sequels. I've seen that movie over a dozen times in my life where as the others I've seen maybe two or three times each. Yet, there was something about the figures released for the first movie that left me a little cold. I think part of it was that it came out just after the Dutch figures from the Predator line which were absolutely perfect action figures. The other thing was that the skin on Rambo came across as very plasticly. Between that and the underwhelming paint on the face, Sylvester Stallone's likeness came across as looking a little too waxy.

This new Rambo figure from the movie Rambo - First Blood II (I always thought that title was so awkward) has a much better finish to it and it also represents a look that is much more iconic to most people. There's just something about it that gets me all hyped up about the property and makes me want to have a movie marathon with all four movies.  Maybe it's the great guns and bazooka he comes with.

Now that I think about it, I think one of the reasons I really I like this figure so much is because he's dressed exactly like he was in the old 80's action figure I use to have of him. I would spend hours play ing with that figure, along with is awesome 6-wheeled Jeep, in the woods behind my parent's house. I bet this new figure is scaled perfectly to fit in that Jeep too. I really wish I still had it.


1 thru 5 coming soon!


Entertainment Earth
The opinions expressed by the HiddenLevel Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of HiddenLevel.org or anyone involved in the running of this site. HiddenLevel is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the Bloggers of this site.
The HiddenLevel Blog was founded as site for contributors to be able to express their opinions and share news about the interest they enjoy.  The main purpose is to have fun.
Other sites are welcome to use the information found on this sit as long as credit and a link are provided.  For and questions you may have or for further information about the site, please contact hiddenlevel.team@gmail.com
Entertainment Earth

0 comments:

Post a Comment