Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Top 40 Toy Finds of October: 26 thru 30


TOP 40 NEW TOY FINDS OF THE MONTH OF
OCTOBER 2014
(26 thru 30)


At the end of each month I, Brunpuppies, will put together a list of the toys that I acquired over the course of the month. The number of entries will differ depending on just how many toys I got in that month. The order of the list will be based purely on my personal opinion of the items and is in no way definitive. I'm sure you the reader will have you own favorites and I am open to hearing about them in the comments section.


The list continues with


30. Big Hero 6 Armor-Up Baymax Action Figure (Bandai)
I'm really excited to see what Disney does with the Big Hero 6 animated film, because all the trailers for this movie look really fun. The character, Baymax, already looks like he's going to be a fan favorite. I've never really seen anything like him although if I was to try and describe him it would be as Data from Star Trek in a Michelin Man (or snowman inflatable lawn decoration) body, that wears an Iron Man like suit. Not really the typical sidekick for a teenage boy.

Bandai has made all kinds of Baymax figures in a variety of sizes with all kinds of action features. I went with this one because it seemed like the most basic, least gimmicky figure that happens to looks good either armored or unarmored. I was also hoping for something that roughly works with 6 inch scale. He's probably too big to really work, but I'm okay with it. Much like the Hulk, I'd rather he be too big than too small.

I'm really happy with how the Baymax looks. I think he accurately represents his on screen appearance. He has a very limited amount of articulation, but for what he is, it's fine. The armor all fits on him well and is most likely the way I will display him. Without his armor he looks fine too, he just doesn't happen to be as interesting to me.

I'll probably wait until after I see the movie before I decide whether or not to get any other Big Hero 6 characters, but for now, I'm happy to have Baymax.


29. G.I. Joe Retaliation Joe Colton Action Figure (Hasbro)
So it seems that the store, Five Below, is getting another wave of G.I. Joe Retaliation action figures, which is awesome for me, because I love getting Joes, but I hate paying more than $5 for one. I'm not really sure why I have that cut off amount. It probably has to do with the fact that when the anniversary figures first came out, I dropped them as soon as the price went from $5 to $6, because back then that seemed like an outrageous price hike. Of course now it seems like a deal. The figures from this wave seem to be many of the same ones you'll see on clearance at Toys R Us right now, but even there they are going for $6.99.

I've been wanting to get this figure for a long time, mostly because it has a pretty great likeness of Bruce Willis. This figure can work just as well as a John McClane from Die Hard, a Frank from Red, or a Mr. Church from The Expendables as it does a Joe Colton. It's always great to have a figure that works as multiple characters.

Colton doesn't quite come with as many accessories as some of the other figures in the line, but he does have a few useful ones plus one ridiculously large ummm… I'm not even sure what to call it. A rocket launcher I guess. This thing is huge, as in it's about the size of Joe himself. Not only that but it's meant to attach to another relatively large gun. It most cases I hate these unrealistic oversized weapons that figures sometimes come with. I usually just toss them into a box and never use them with any figures. But in this case, it's so comically large that I kind of like it. It's almost impossible to get Colton to hold it without falling over, but I'm sure I'll find a way to prop him up when I display him.


28. DC Comics Total Heroes Aquaman Action Figure (Mattel)
I am an unapologetic fan of the King of the Seven Seas. He gets a bad rap and is the butt of many jokes, which really stems from how lame he was portrayed to be in the Super Friends cartoon. As far as I'm concerned, if you base any of the heroes off their appearance on that cartoon, they all come across as lame. Don't get me wrong, I like that cartoon a lot, but it's mostly because of how campy it was. The heroes always seemed to use their powers in ridiculous and unbelievable ways rather than in cool and clever ways. So yeah, Aquaman talked to fish and rides a giant seahorse, but in the comics, he has a lot more going on.

This particular figure looks really good and manages to have more unique parts than the average Total Heroes figure. Not only is the head specifically for Aquaman, but so are the torso, belt, forearms, and lower legs. Most of the skin-tight suit wearing figures usually use the same main body. Another nice thing about Aquaman is that he comes with a great looking and useful accessory; his trident.

Plus I like the colors Orange and Green and you really don't see many characters sporting that color combination.


27. Transformers Hero Mashers Rodimus Action Figure (Hasbro)
If there's one Transformers character I might like more than Optimus Prime it's Hot Rod / Rodimus / Rodimus Prime. It has a lot to do with the fact that as a kid I was really into the animated movie and was super excited the Christmas I received both Hot Rod and Rodimus Prime. Something about the wild colors and "futuristic" car design just blew my young mind.

This Hero Masher was a "must get" for me. An inexpensive action figure that's fairly close to the original cartoon design, isn't something I was going to miss. I'm still kicking myself for never picking up the Masterpiece Rodimus, because other than that, I think I have every Rodimus figure.

Since taking the photo above, I've added an Autobots logo to his chest. It's very odd that he didn't come with one, because he seems a little off without it. Hopeful some other figure will come with some exhaust pipes I can put on his arm too.

Having this figure makes me really want to get an Ultra Magnus to go along with him.


26. Housekeeping Service Figure Set (Playmobil)
Yes, I realize this seems a little out of place compared to some of the other figures on this list, but that doesn't stop it from being a pretty cool toy. Playmobil is the one toy line I collect along with my wife. Most of the sets we get are Christmas themed and we display them in our living room from Thanksgiving until New Year. We also have some other non holiday themed figures that we display along side my other toys. Last year, we even had a Playmobil bride and groom on our wedding cake.

For whatever reason, my wife loved this set of a hotel housekeeper when she saw it in a catalog a while back. I think it had to do with the fact that it comes with so many accessories and that it's just so odd that a toy company would make a housekeeper set to go along with there Summer Fun line. So a kid can not only play with a toy family while they having fun at an amusement park play set, but they can also pretend that they're cleaning the hotel room while the family is out. That's make use of some really wild imagination.

This month I came across the set in a store and decided to get it as a gift to my wife for letting head out to New York Comic Con. She was so excited and loves showing it off to friends when they come over. Everyone seems to be really amazed by the detail that went into the accessories. What really amazed me is that getting this toy made my wife say that we should make more room for toys on our house. Maybe for that reason alone, this figure should be much closer to the number one spot on this list.



Click Here for 36 thru 40

21 thru 25 Coming Soon

Entertainment Earth
The opinions expressed by the HiddenLevel Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of HiddenLevel.org or anyone involved in the running of this site. HiddenLevel is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the Bloggers of this site.
The HiddenLevel Blog was founded as site for contributors to be able to express their opinions and share news about the interest they enjoy.  The main purpose is to have fun.
Other sites are welcome to use the information found on this sit as long as credit and a link are provided.  For and questions you may have or for further information about the site, please contact hiddenlevel.team@gmail.com
Entertainment Earth

0 comments:

Post a Comment