Sunday, November 30, 2014

Top 40 Toy Finds of October: 1 thru 5

TOP 40 NEW TOY FINDS OF THE MONTH OF
OCTOBER 2014
(1 thru 5)



At the end of each month I, Brunpuppies, will put together a list of the toys that I acquired over the course of the month. The number of entries will differ depending on just how many toys I got in that month. The order of the list will be based purely on my personal opinion of the items and is in no way definitive. I'm sure you the reader will have you own favorites and I am open to hearing about them in the comments section.


Last months list continues with the final five! It's super late, because I need a break. 

5. Star Wars The Black Series Imperial Shadow Squadron Action Figures and Speeder Bike Pack (Hasbro)
Unlike the Marvel Legends Captain America set, I didn't break up this Target Exclusive set into separate entries, because this is a bit more cohesive set. These two figures are more likely to stay together in someone's display and are even great for some army building. I know that at least in my collection, Captain America, Ms. Marvel, and Radioactive Man aren't likely to be displayed side by side, but these troopers definitely will.

I really didn't expect Shadow Troopers to come out so early in the series, so a while back I had even made myself a custom out of a Sand Trooper. The main differences between my custom and the Trooper in this set are that the armor on my home made figure was gloss black, the eye lenses where silver, and the "fabric" parts were matte black rather than dark gray. I am fine with what Hasbro did, although I may have liked the figures better if the armor was a glossier black.

These figures being so high on my list really come down to two things; I love Star Wars trooper figures and I think characters in general look slick in all black. It's really that simple. It doesn't hurt that the troopers have the best sculpt, proportions, and articulation in the line.


4. Tamashii Nations "Great Mazinger" Super Robot Chogokin Action Figure (Bandai)
If you read my list from last month, you know that Tamashii Nations "Mazinger Z" was my favorite toy of September. I used the word "FUN" to capture my feelings about that action figure. I knew right away that I was going to get more figures from this line. At New York Comic Con I was able to score this Great Mazinger at a reasonable price. My excitement for this figure was through the roof, because this figure represented the one Mazinger I had a kid (which I loved) and I already knew what to expect in terms of quality. For the most part, I wasn't disappointed in this action figure. It should have easily taken the top spot for this month if it wasn't for one thing.

This figure is friggin' sharp as hell!

I don't mean sharp as in "cool" (although it is), I mean sharp as in it will literally cut you. All those blades and tapered parts you see in the picture above are even pointier than they look. Each time a tried switching out the hands of fore arms, I came dangerously close to ripping my fingers open. (In the future I plan on wearing thick gloves when switching out parts.)

Other than risk of bodily harm, this figure is just as awesome as I had hoped. Chogokin action figures are definitely high on my radar at the moment.


3. Tamashii Nations Ultra-Act Ultraman Ginga Action Figure (Bandai)
This is another figure I grabbed at the Bandai booth at this year's New York Comic Con. At the time I was there, this appeared to be the last Ultraman figure of any kind that they had for sale. (They may have put out more figures later in the show.) He isn't the Ultraman figure I had originally intended on getting, but I'm really glad I did. The design and execution of this this figure is fantastic. It's articulation is smooth and plentiful, the sculpt and proportions are spot-on, and the paint and colors really pop. I love the use of translucent blue, it really gives the figure a great unique look.

The downside of awesome import figures like these, is that they make me a little more disappointed in their american counterparts. As much as I love my Marvel Legends, DC Universe Classics, and Star Wars Black collections, I can't help but wish they were up to the quality of Bandai's Tamashii Nations action figures. Speaking of which...


2. Tamashii Nations D-Arts Mega Man Action Figure (Bandai)
Yep, it seems Bandai is running the top of this list. I'm really excited to have yet another classic video game character that has been perfectly depicted in plastic form. This figure really is the perfect Mega Man figure to me. It's his standard look, scaled perfectly to work in 1/12 scale and he comes with plenty of accessories and Rush and Met to boot!

Most of what I have to say about this great little action figure can be found HERE in the the full review I did of it.


1. SpruKits DC Comics Arkham City Batman Level 3 Action Figure Model Kit (Bandai)
I think one of the reasons I never got many toys from Bandai is because most of their stuff that gets distributed in the U.S. toy stores, just seems a little low end and uninteresting to me. The biggest line I can think of from them in in toy stores is The Power Rangers. Those toys just never did anything for me at all. It took me far too long to realize that the really good stuff wasn't going to be found at Toys R Us or Target. That is until recently.

Gundam fans have know for years (decades even) that Bandai knows what they are doing when it comes to action figure models. It wasn't until SpruKits was introduced in the U.S. market that I realized the same. While the Level 1 figures really don't do much for me, but the Level 2 figures have been an absolute blast. With this latest Batman figure I quite literally got to take it to the next level. With this Batman I am absolutely hooked on the idea of action figure model building. Not since I was a kid did I have so much fun "playing" with a toy.

For the most part, all of my toys are kept in one part of my house, my basement which has been converted into a "toy museum." I don't usually have any figures just laying around any other part of my house. This figure, however, was an exception. For about a month after I built him, I had him on the coffee table in my living room. I couldn't help myself from constantly putting him in new poses as my wife and I watched TV. Batman just looked so cool in every pose I could think of.

An action figure that's fun and looks great, that is the mark of a truly awesome toy.

Check out this GALLERY to see just a little of how fantastic this toy is.


Entertainment Earth
The opinions expressed by the HiddenLevel Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of HiddenLevel.org or anyone involved in the running of this site. HiddenLevel is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the Bloggers of this site.
The HiddenLevel Blog was founded as site for contributors to be able to express their opinions and share news about the interest they enjoy.  The main purpose is to have fun.
Other sites are welcome to use the information found on this sit as long as credit and a link are provided.  For and questions you may have or for further information about the site, please contact hiddenlevel.team@gmail.com
Entertainment Earth

0 comments:

Post a Comment