Thursday, May 15, 2014

NECA "Modern Godzilla" Action Figure Review


Just in time for the movie release (and Godzilla Week here at HiddenLevel) the new NECA Godzilla action figure is out!  I was surprised to see this, along with the NECA Planet of the Apes figures, in stores this week.  I knew these were coming out, I just had no idea when.

I have wanted a good Godzilla figure in my collection for years, but this is my first.  The Bandai vinyl figures don't do anything for me and highly articulated imports are way too expensive.  When I heard NECA had the license for the big guy, I knew my first figure was coming soon.   It didn't disappoint.

Package Bio:
Possibly the last of an ancient species of giant amphibious creatures that evolved at a time when the surface of the earth was over 10 times more radioactive than it is today. GODZILLA can convert his radiation stores into a violent, focused exhalation of atomic ray. Rarely seen, but spoken of in antient Pacific Islan myths. ‘Gojira’ was last spotted in 1954 when the U.S Navy encountered and attempted to kill him with an atomic blast in the Pacific Ocean. Since then, the giant creature has been living in the deep ocean – until a threat to his survival from an ancient foe forces him to reappear.


Sculpt:  The sculpt on this Godzilla figure is impressive.  There are textures and scales though out the body and they transition wonderfully from one to the next. The spikes / plates along the back and tail look menacing and sharp, which they are.  Seriously, you can hurt yourself with this toy!  

Godzilla looks just like he does in all the movie promo shots.  Any issues I have, has more to do with the design of the character than what NECA has done with it.  I'm not a huge fan of the super long tail or the small, elephant-like feet.  I think the tail could have been about a third smaller and I would have liked to have seen much bigger feet with giant claws for him to stomp around with, then the figure would be able to balance on his feet without always needing to have his tail on the ground.

Verdict: 8/10 - NECA's work is great, any fault is in the character design.


Scale:  I honestly have no idea what scale this Godzilla is meant to be.  After doing a quick search, I estimate that this figure is around 1/500 scale.  I can't really think of anything else I own that's a similar scale.  I was hoping it would be the same as the Pacific Rim figures, but really he should tower over them and this figure does not. I honestly don't have any real issue with the scale, I didn't really expect him to to work with any of my other figures anyway.  I just hope we get some other monsters from NECA that he can fight.


Verdict: 7/10 - This guy is going to be a little lonely for a while.

Paint:  I think my photos may be a little deceiving when it comes to the paint.  This figure doesn't seem to have much paint on him, but what is there, works well.  Most of his body has a very lightly applied blue paint wash that is just enough to bring out the details.  His chest has a similar wash, but it is a brown color.  The only other paint is on the head and claws.  The eyes are extremely small but well done.  The teeth and inside of the mouth are also properly painted.

Verdict: 8/10 - I have no issues with the paint.  There is really nothing here to super impress me either.

Articulation:  There is a ton of articulation on this Godzilla.  The only issue is that none of the articulation really has all that much range.  Then again, this is a big lumbering monster, not an acrobat.  The articulation locations are as follows:

  • Hinged jaw
  • 2 joints at the neck
  • Shoulders
  • Elbows
  • Wrists
  • Mid-torso
  • Hips
  • Knees
  • Ankles
  • 4 joints at the base of the tail
  • Bendy end of the tail


Verdict: 8/10 - Plenty of articulation to keep him mobile, but again, nothing here to impress.
Accessories:  Not a thing.
Verdict: 0/10 - Not that anything was really needed.  Atomic breath plug-in would have been nice.


Overall:  I'm really happy to have this in my collection.  I think I picked a great Godzilla as my first action figure.  I really hope that NECA does other versions of the King of Monsters.


Verdict: 8/10 - A good, solid toy.

-Brunpuppies




Read my thoughts of the upcoming movie HERE

Check out Kevshiro's review of NECA's ED-209 HERE

The opinions expressed by the HiddenLevel Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of HiddenLevel.org or anyone involved in the running of this site. HiddenLevel is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the Bloggers of this site.
The HiddenLevel Blog was founded as site for contributors to be able to express their opinions and share news about the interest they enjoy.  The main purpose is to have fun.

Other sites are welcome to use the information found on this sit as long as credit and a link are provided.  For and questions you may have or for further information about the site, please contact hiddenlevel.team@gmail.com


0 comments:

Post a Comment